Monday 11 June 2012

Let's talk about hirsutism...


What is hirsutism?


Women with hirsutism experience the growth of excess body and facial hair.




{image}


What causes it?

Hirsutism is caused by an excess of androgens (male hormones) or a sensitivity to them. There are different reasons for this excess of hormones but many women with Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) suffer from hirsutism.


What is the point of this blog?


Hirsutism affects 5-10% of women of child-bearing age and yet it seems like it is a topic that women never discuss. I suffer from excess hair on my face and body (lower back, thighs, stomach and breasts).

I find this very embarrassing and have tried every hair removal gadget and technique around and still haven't found anything that really works. I also felt like my (male) doctor was very dismissive of how I feel about the problem by saying things like "oh, other people have much more hair!" but that does not help me feel better. Sometimes I've felt like I can't talk to anyone about this and it's something that I am always aware of and feel very self conscious about. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who feels like this when I know that's not true.

I'm hoping that other people suffering from hirsutism will share their thoughts here so we don't feel so alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment